Tuesday, January 24, 2006

You think you know Tiger?

I see it all the time!
People on the golf course, at the driving range, the internet; referring to their kids, their buddies, their playing partners as "Tiger Woods", or "the next Tiger Woods". Whenever someone hits a remotely good shot, or makes somewhat of a long drive, that person is immediately addressed as Tiger. Heck, I've even been "mistaken" for Tiger Woods once or twice after hitting what kids refer to as a, "Monster Drive".


First of all, what is this obsession with Mr. Woods? Okay okay, he's the best golfer in the world, he's amazing, and he's legendary. Fine. So was Michael Jordan. But you don't see anyone over the age of 12 referring to themselves or their friends as MJ.

Secondly, when these people address their fellow human beings as TW, it is so obvious that they have absolutely no clue how insanely good Tiger is. His mixture of talent, determination, competitiveness, and work ethic lift him to basically an untouchable status. One occasional good shot won't even get you a souvenir ball. Woods is so high above the average golfer, that it is of utmost absurdity to try and compare him to any of us mortals.

I don't burst into flames or get annoyed when I hear guys being referred to as "Tiger", but it certainly makes me think, "oh here we go again...".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know all the cameras will follow TW whenever he's in a game. no doubt he's one of the best, but, there are others out there, too.

Anonymous said...

I feel like a Tiger all the time when I play Tiger Woods 2005 on my PS2. As the matter of fact I had 2 eagles last night.

Anonymous said...

He is One Scray man~
He went to the Pratice range the the next morning after he had won the PGA tour. How many guys you know does that?
I know most guys might wake up with a hangover.