Friday, April 27, 2007

The Power of Music



Above is the ending sequence for Japanese dorama Beautiful Life.

It is the sombre love story involving a girl in a wheelchair who eventually dies of leukemia by the end of the show. The eleven episodes are entertaining, heartwarming, and educational (thoughts of a disabled person in Japanese society). What I remember most; however, is the theme song for the series: 今夜月の見える丘に by J-pop/rock duo, B'z.

In the beginning, I liked the song. It was a catchy tune, it had a great sound, and a very powerful chorus. Now, the song makes me cry everytime I hear it. When I listen to this song, especially the chorus, I see the final image of the ending sequence where the two main characters are in a fantasy land (perhaps heaven?). The girl can walk again, and she is free of her wheelchair. Hand in hand, the two run across an open field, leaving the wheelchair behind. Only in death, is she finally free of her wheelchair and her disease. I hear that out of this world, super powerful chorus, and all these feelings and emotions rush into my mind.

That is the power of music and imagery.

5 comments:

John said...

Damn you for making me cry...

Anonymous said...

ahhh B'z I love those guys. Makes me want to play again!

Justin said...

Re: john

Yea, this song is a favorite on my iPod, but I always have to skip over it when a lot of people are around.

ahsir said...

Oh man,, I Love that song too! Teh I actually think the Twist of the Chorus.

You know, Mr. Chirlden is good too !

Justin said...

Re: ahsir

Yes, I will post Mr. Children songs in my next post. You will love the video.