Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Silence is Golden

What foreigners notice about some Mainland Chinese is how loud they talk on the phone. There is probably an official explanation for this, but here is mine: the louder you talk, the higher your status is in society. Notice when in a meeting with Mainlanders, the highest ranked person will always answer his phone during the meeting, continue to talk without leaving the room, and talk loud. Perhaps a lower ranked person will answer and talk quietly. The lowest ranked person will either not answer or leave the room to answer.

To add insult to injury, the higher ranked personel usually have the loudest, most annoying ringtones. Naturally, they have them on full blast during meetings. I'd be surprised if they even know how to use the vibrate function on their phone.

Outside of the office, pretty much everyone has their voice and phone on super loud mode. My guess is that it stems from the same reason: to show stature. The boss in public just acts as if he's in the office, by talking loud as usual. The subordinates talk loud in public perhaps to release their frustration of not being able to do it in the office, or perhaps to show that they are their own boss once the work day ends.

Anyhow, it is a nuisance and another stain on the international image of China.

6 comments:

Ravenark said...

I agree with your statement regarding the loudness of a person's voice relating to their self-image of their own self worth. It's not just Chinese people who do this, it's everyone.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Justin said...

Well said.

I remember about ten years ago in the US, when mobile phones started becoming common, people did the same thing. However, the reason was that they didn't know how to use the phones properly. Now, you see much more "Cell Etiquette".

I just feel that in China, courtesy is often not considered normal behavior.

John said...

Not really mobile phone related but the other day whilst in an elevator, an older Chinese man started speaking to me in English in a gentle and jovial manner. Done with me, he turns around and starts going on full blast to his friend in Mandarin. Must be the lanugage which causes the volume...

Justin said...

Maybe he had no choice because he's a robot, and the language volume was preset in his cybernetic implanted brain!!

Ravenark said...

It's true I've seen it with my own eyes.

So hey, do you normally get lots of commenters? I just kinda stumbled across your blog searching for a laughing man logo on google images, but you seem like a pretty smart guy.

Justin said...

LOL, you're too kind. Smart I am not.

I usually get the same five people leaving comments, but perhaps I talk about China too much and they're getting bored ^^;