Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Restaurant Etiquette

I had to have a late lunch the other day. So I'm at the mall, expecting restaurants to be somewhat empty. I though about trying this somewhat new place where there's always a long line (turns out it was crap, but anyways...). Surely, there would be no line well past the lunch hour, right?

Wrong. There was still a considerable line. What I should have done was move on and eat somewhere else, but it was too late. My mind had already programmed itself into wanting to eat that meal at that place. So I lined up with everyone else, and that's when I noticed the reason for the line.

People who had finished eating were still hanging around. They weren't just done eating, their dishes had already been cleared away. Despite people waiting for seats right in front of them, they chose to just remain in their seats and chit-chat long after their meal was finished.

Of course this annoyed me, but it is what people do in Hong Kong. Even at a busy restaurant, most Hong Kongers will choose to be inconsiderate and hog their tables until their lunch hour ends. This happened to be a Japanese restaurant, and it reminded me of what would likely happen in Japan: people would quickly eat their meals, and vacate the restaurant. If they wanted to hang out and chat, they would go to a cafe instead of delaying the next person from eating their meal. That is restaurant etiquette.

Naturally, different restaurants and different situations will require different actions. If the restaurant is empty, then yeah, stay as long as you want. However, during the lunch rush, I wish Hong Kong people would be more considerate.

6 comments:

ahsir said...

agree!
But that is The HK Thing~ People love to sit a while after their meals. That is Why the meal ends with Hot coffee or tea~ I mean~ Lunch time is pretty pack~ and Ppll only got 1 hr to meet.... I understand why they want to sit a bit longer~
What I can't understand is DINNER Time. I mean, GO to a PUB! go SOMEWHERE Else.
I need a table for FOOD~

Justin said...

My thoughts are the exact opposite of yours.

Precisely because the lunch break is so limited (1 hour), people need to be even more considerate and realize that other people also only have one hour and need "a table for food", as you said. People who know that others are waiting and still just hang around are being inconsiderate, or being assholes. Ha ha.

Dinner time is much more relaxing. There is no "rushing back to work" after dinner, so people can relax and sit all they want. Sure you might have to wait, but you'll get your meal and you won't be penalized at work for taking too much time waiting/eating.

I can see where you're coming from because of your out of the ordinary work hours, but I think most people will disagree with you.

Of course, this all depends on the situation. If its a place where you need to make a reservation and its a proper sit down place, then yeah, sit all you want. You made the reservation, the table is yours for the entire lunch time. My post was more directed to those fast food or semi fast food places where waiting for a table is common practice.

PS - The place I went to did not serve coffee/tea after the meal. So they kinda had no excuse.

Justin said...

Again, I thought of Japan...

Restaurants in Japan allow smoking during dinner time but not during lunch time. Why is this?

Because they think along the lines of: lunch is for eating, while dinner is for relaxing. During lunch, eat and get out. Don't lounge around to smoke. Let other people sit. During dinner, go ahead and have a beer and a smoke. Work is over, relax.

If Hong Kong people applied such a mentality, the lines would be much shorter.

John said...

I could say many a thing but it might sound like I'm bragging since I'm currently in Japan ;P

But yeah dinner is a way different story. They do anything to make sure that you stay longer than say, during lunch with things like the smoking rule, all you can drink deals and the smaller servings which make you eat and eat and eat...

Justin said...

Damn you John! Such a show-off!! *shakes fist*

No, really. I'm glad that you're enjoying Japan. I find myself living vicariously through your experiences and adventures.

Man, I love Japanese food.

alex said...

The US perspective:
As a former waiter for many years, I couldn't agree with you more, because 80% of a waiter's income comes from the tip. Less turn around = less money in the waiter's pocket.