Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cheapo

Even when it comes to charity, HSBC is a cheap bastard.  

In an attempt to offload some of my HSBC credit card bonus points, I chose to donate them to the Community Chest. Then I found out that you need 25,000 points to donate HKD100! That's a 0.4% return since one dollar spending equals one point.  Normally I would accept this if it were a cash back return scheme, but this is a donation.  I expect the bank to be willing to give a little more when it comes to charity. Oh well, I guess I'm just more naive than I'd like to think.

1 comment:

John said...

There was a similar thing in England where you could earn points to redeem soccer balls for your local school by shopping at a particular shopping mall. With all the points you had to collect, the ball ended up costing more than $1,000.