Thursday, March 05, 2009

Build Quality


The stuff we buy just keeps getting worse.

I finally upgraded to a wireless keyboard and mouse at work. I chose this Microsoft combo because it was reasonably priced. I like Logitech's wireless stuff better, but I already had a set of that at home, and didn't want to spend anymore money.

I guess you really get what you pay for. This Microsoft set sucks. They keyboard is mediocre, but not really much worse than your average everyday keyboard. The mouse is really bottom of the barrel though in terms of quality. The optical mouse works on very few surfaces. It doesn't work on the mouse pad that I got for free from the store which I made this purchase, and it doesn't work on the old mouse pad that I was using. It only works if I put it directly on my desk. The battery life sucks compared to my Logitech wireless optical mouse at home, despite it turning itself off every couple minutes to save power.

Right now, I'm recharging the two AA batteries for the mouse, so I have reverted back to the trusty old Microsoft optical wired mouse I've been using for the past eight years. It is better in many respects. Not only does it feel better in your hand, the buttons have a better build quality, and it works on almost any surface. I don't understand how technology can move backwards, but apparently, that's what's happening to Microsoft.

From now on, I'm sticking with Logitech.

No comments: