Thursday, December 01, 2005

What is a Softbank?

Seattle Mariners add more eastern magic to their lineup with Fukuoka Softbank Hawks catcher Kenji Johjima. This guy was a great player in Japan, averaging .305 and 30 homeruns per season for the past 5 seasons. On the defensive side, he's also a gold glover.

Besides looking like an exciting player next season, he reminded me of my awesome trip with Betty to Fukuoka just recently. I almost bought a piece of Fukuoka Softbank Hawks memorabilia. Then I decided I didn't want anything to do with a team that called themselves "Softbank".

I understand the need for corporate sponsorship, but when companies embed their name to a team or its stadium, it just annoys the hell out of me. I already thought the idea was stupid
when Candlestick Park was renamed to friggin' 3Com Park in 1995. That was thanks to when 3Com leased the name rights to Candlestick. Then Monster Cable leased the rights and the park was officially called "Friggin' Monster Park" in 2004 (ok ok, its actually just "Monster Park"). Guess there are people who agree with me:

A measure passed in the November 2, 2004 election states that the stadium name will revert back to Candlestick permanently after the current contract with Monster Cable expires in 2008. This highlights San Francisco's extreme distaste for corporate naming, especially of this particular venue. The stadium is still almost universally referred to as Candlestick Park despite the name change by both locals and the media. The Monster Park moniker is confined to the 49ers front office and a few national broadcasters just as the 3Com name was years before.


HA! Sweet justice indeed.

I am so glad that Fenway Park is just good old "Fenway Paak". Unfortunately, there's still Gillette Stadium and Fleet Center that we have to deal with. Bleh...

Oh well, their jersey is ugly anyways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Comment

Justin said...

Re: Alex

Aya! Is that the third baseball related post in a row? My apologies. I promise the next one won't be... I hope.