Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Re: Now You've Done It

In response to Alex's comment:
Alex said...
I understand you totally. But then what can we really do about it? Not turn on the AC? That would be lethal in the summer. Or maybe we should starting limiting the number of cars allowed in the city, just like those taxi license
I understand what your saying. It can be difficult having zero A/C during summer in Hong Kong. I just wanted to point out this article (see below). It is an interesting take on the use of A/C, experimentation, and a change in habit. Perhaps its time we all reassess our needs.



The story is basically about a guy whose habit was to flip on the A/C before bed. It was a ritual that had lasted for as long as he could remember. Then one day he got sick, and decided to sleep with just the fan. He slept great without A/C. Suspecting that his good night's sleep was due to him being sick, he tried later on to sleep through the night sans A/C. The results were the same: great night's sleep. Since then, the guy sleeps with only the fan on.

I'm not saying that everyone should sleep without A/C. However, I do encourage people to experiment with different ways to carry out daily tasks. See if a certain energy saving way might work for you. I tried sleeping without A/C, and it worked for me. Though I can understand how it might not work for everyone, the author of that article didn't think he could sleep without A/C until he actually tried it.

In the end, it all comes down to what we are accustomed to. Can we break the cycle and get used to different conditions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good point, but on the other side in a few months from now, if I sleep without my heat on, I think I will turn into a human popsicle haha!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Iam very looking forward to Winter now, It is just insane to walk around HK in a dark suit with a Tie on.

hum~ Sleeping with just a Fan~ That is insane for me ~