Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I need my own gym

The gym I am a member of is really nice. The latest machines, plenty of free weights, plenty of cardio equipment as well. Because its so nice and because it costs a pretty penny to join, there are naturally a whole bunch of rich, irresponsible, and lazy members I have to share it with. There are a few who I see all the time and have nicknames for:

Talkative Asian Duo: Two Hong Kong guys who are always there together. All they do is talk talk talk while they help each other out with the weights. Of course, all they work out are the "clubbing muscles". I don't know if they're showing off or what, but they always put on more weight than they can handle. I really couldn't give a shit whether they're exercising properly or talking too loud. What pisses me off is that they never ever re-rack their weights. Lazy bums. Some people think because they have money, there will always be someone who picks up after them.

Tall Mean Dude: There's this tall guy who is pretty fit with the meanest look on his face. I said hi to him once (I say hi to everyone... almost), but got no response and that's fine. What bothers me about this guy is that he sweats all over the place. Wherever he walks, he leaves a trail of sweat. Okay, no problem. Some guys just sweat more. But this guy sweats all over the equipment and doesn't bother to clean that shit up after he uses it. Plus, he does this plyometric exercise where he steps on the bench press bench with is shoes. Why can't he uses the plastic "steps" like everyone else? Lazy bum.... I mean asshole.

Dude who's going to one day hurt himself: This guy comes in and first thing he does is jump on the rowing machine. He then goes all out on the thing. Its painful to watch. His back is completely arched on the pull back. He does it for like 10mins. Trust me, one day one of his discs is going to fly out and hit me straight in the face. Idiot.

Women there to socialize: Some women just show up to walk the treadmill at 1mph and watch TV. Then when their friend shows up, they start talking and talking and talking. They'd use machines next to each other and talk. Then they'd finish exercising and keep talking. Then they'd move that conversation outside (thank god). Then I'd see them still talking after I'm done showering. I guess that's just another difference between men and women. My peeve about them is that they're not really exercising. They're talking while hogging the machines. Please take your conversation elsewhere.

I remember the good old days in college when my roommate and I went to the gym everyday. We had a group of weight room buddies who we'd only see in the weight room (weird). I'd see those guys every day, but never outside of the gym. Whenever one of us missed a day, we'd always get ridiculed the next day for our absence. That gym at Wheaton College was worn out and the equipment was old, but it was great. Those guys would never let anyone do an exercise wrong. They always cleaned up after themselves, and kept all the equipment in good order even though it wasn't ours. Everyone felt responsible for one another, and everyone felt responsible for the gym.

Now in my current gym, it just seems like people have a total lack of respect for the gym, the staff, and the other members. What a pity money can do to people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny, I also have similar issues with my gym. I got these 250+lbs meat heads that can bench 300 but they can seems too re-rack their own weight.

But the MVP of my gym, is a guy that me and my friend refer to as Mr Johnny Ball Sack. He is build like a pro, but he wears these tight short shorts. It is nearly impossible to avoid seeing his Lychee nuts.

Just imagine if he offers to give you a spot while you are on a flat bench. It is like a childhood tremor

Anonymous said...

looks like it's much busier in ur gym than in mine. my co. gym has only three treadmills, a stair climber and a couple of other equipment. that's enough tho, for me. it's nice, too, because i've never seen more than five ppl in the room at the same time. guess most ppl just wanna go home after a long day. i really should go more often...

Justin said...

re: Alex

Ha ha ha ha ha, lychee nuts!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I Feel you man~
What I hate the most were the ppl Who Really just sweat on the bench too much, and My Towel is not enough.

I read it somewhere that a lot of the Gym in US nowadays has Paper towels and cleaning solution for ppl to clean up after themselves.'

我個到成班基佬, 成日係個gym打佢地自己友屎fud...lockerroom, 我好想一拳打爆佢地~~

Justin said...

re: Arthur

Actually, my gym does have paper towels and a bleach mix. I just wish people'd actually use them.