Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Cathay Pacific

I don't normally take Cathay, mainly because their prices are outrageous. This time I really had no choice since it was a Cathay vacation package...

First of all, who would want to take Cathay?

  1. Their airline tickets cost nearly double that of their competition. Every time I try to book for flights from Hong Kong to Taiwan, the CX flights are in the $3000 range, while China and Eva are around $1500+.
  2. Their mileage program is really stingy. You need a boatload of miles to get the shortest flights in economy. I'm not sure whether its easy to exchange the miles, cause I can never accumulate enough to actually trade them in.
  3. Cathay is notorious in Asia for mistreating their employees. They are constantly getting sued by staff and former staff for one type of mistreatment or another.
  4. The food sucks. Thanks to Betty, we got upgraded on the leg over to business class. Bigger seats, free champagne, but the same crappy food. Definitely sub-par compared to any other airline I've been on.
Then again... all the movies on Cathay are uncensored! Plenty of sex, nudity, violence, and foul language. Now I know why they cost so much. Cheers Cathay! Thanks for keeping me occupied throughout the flight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah~ Mistreating ?
FYI cathey has the Highest pay in the industry and (Of course longer hours~ a bit)

Cathey has OK food la. now they only give out sandwiches for short trips because of one thing~ save money and FOOD~

Turns out that when the airplane food was not eaten, They have to trash all of food. ( can't save them or even Donate.) I think it is good that they.. well... save the food wastage. and use the money to DONATE to the poor.

Service is, I think, One of th best in the industry. :P

Actually, as long as the Movie is shown on one of those Handsets, Most of the Movies are un cut verison ga la. ( I saw the wedding crasher on the plane, and my eyes POPPED)

Anonymous said...

cathay is one of the members of Asia Miles right?

Anonymous said...

wondering if my questionnaire would ever really help the airline to improve... asia miles is cathay's own mileage program, i think.

Justin said...

re: arthur

As I'm sure we all know, money isn't everything. Do a quick search on how Cathay mistreats its employees. They are notorious.

We were in Business class, and it was not a short trip, so we got a full meal and it was not good. Eva and China had better meals than what Cathay had to offer. I may have preferred a sandwich if they actually offered it to me.

Service is probably the best, that I agree.

Maybe on Asia carriers only. With all the American airline companies, the movies are censored even with the private monitors.