Sunday, June 01, 2008

Hiatus/Thoughts

Where in the world? Yes, I've been away. Spent nearly two weeks in the US. Was ablt to swing by the East coast for the first time in four years. Do I miss it? Sure. Parts of it... sometimes.

So I was in the US when the earthquake hit Sichuan. It's strange how when you're not anywhere near the epicenter of tragedy, you can easily remove yourself from it. The only report I really watched was on CNN, when they interviewed an American there by phone. Otherwise, it was pretty difficult for foreign journalists to gain access at the time. It's that age old news barrier in China: when you're there, you can't get foreign news; when you're not there, you can't get any accurate news from China. So it was pretty easy for me to continue my vacation, and not think much about the quake and its victims.

When I returned to Hong Kong, then I realized how crazy people were about the quake. Newspapers printing everything in black, everything was tragedy, tragedy, tragedy, death, destruction, hopelessness. The Hong Kong media just kept feeding people negativity, as if the victims needed everyone to share their grief. Anyone person or media outlet that didn't follow suit were be "condemned" or frowned upon. It's like "Fenqing" behavior: if you don't agree with them, you're the enemy; there's no room for discussion.

Maybe it was my absence during the quake, or maybe I'm just a heartless bastard. I didn't feel sad, and I didn't need psychological help. Sichuan was a mess, and tens of thousands were dead. Yet people around the world die everyday. Some suffering African nations are in even worse situations than the quake survivors. What about Myanmar? Suddenly, people stopped thinking about them.

There are so many examples of how people suffer day in day out (even in China), yet we never think of those people. I know it's wrong to say this, but it almost appears like it's fashionable to feel sad, and cry about Sichuan, and donate money. Yet how often in our daily lives do we think about the impoverished, those struck by tragedy and injustice? Why does it take a major tragedy, and a pushy media to get us to care? I am numb by what goes on in the world today. Sichuan just didn't faze me.

Before the quake, I saw a news show (The Pearl Report) about the Olympics, and Tibet, and China's human rights record, which people were protesting. They interviewed a man living in Beijing named Wang Zhi. Wang owned property, he had a good job, and a family. Regarding the protests against the Olympics, he couldn't understand them. He said that he "doesn't have the luxury to care about human rights". That made me sad. In fact, I was stunned by his comment.

Plenty of tragedy and injustice happens in the world around us. Unfortunately, we can't seemed to be bothered by it until it hits us with sledgehammer strength.

4 comments:

John said...

I love how Burma has been brushed aside so quickly...

Josekin said...

Burmese govt might learn to use the "power" of the media...

People suck, what can I say...

Unknown said...

funny, I was in u.s. when the earth quake happened, for 3 days not much coverage on the news, and people going on with their lives in the state side. Then I went to shanghai for business and just realized the magnitude and the severity, most of all I was impressed by the unity and the media transparency. It looks like China has finally grew up. Then of course things got kinda weird. A friend told me over dinner that her company got called from the "agency" saying that they need to pony up more after the company donated 2 mil. KFC got attacked because they didn't donate money right after the quake. Then I got questioned by my cabbie that why I was going to xitindi during the national mourning period. He looked at me like I was some kinda heartless monster. The disparity of wealth in china and media frenzy really bring some bad after taste to the national tragedy. Nevertheless, I just glad that now everyone stopped talking about tibet. Good job china or whoever the new pr firm is.

Justin said...

Grown up in what way though? It almost seems like a pissing contest, to see who can donate more money, or to see who can force others to donate more money.

Poor Andy Lau got heavily criticized (on the net, no less) for donating HKD200,000. The netizens claimed it was too little. Perhaps they were disappointed with his new album after listening to it off their illegal download.

People are still talking about Tibet. It's just that no one's listening anymore. Especially Hong Kong people, who have a notoriously short attention span.