Friday, June 27, 2008

Immortality?

Does Curt Schilling belong in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Read this chat transcript.

I'm a Curt fan because of 2004, but when it comes to HOF induction, I am fair and unbiased. Curt Schilling is most definitely a Hall of Famer in my opinion.

What I don't understand is why people still base performance on number of wins. Wins is an eye catching stat. When you see a guy with let's say a 10-3 record, you automatically think that he's a good pitcher. That could be far from the truth. What really matters are ERA, strikes, walks (actually WHIP). Schilling performs above and beyond well in all those categories. Not getting a W, doesn't mean the pitcher didn't pitch quality innings. Getting an L or no decision doesn't necessarily equal a poor outing. Sometimes giving up one run can lead to a loss. If that one run was given up in 6 innings, I'd say that's a quality start; yet it's still branded as a loss.

So I don't get it. People these days should be smart enough to skip over the win-loss column when judging a pitcher's worth.

2 comments:

Josekin said...

Unfortunately, the X (or Y or Z, I'm losing track) generation doesn't vote for HoF. It's the old geezers together with a bunch of old school baseball geeks. Most of them can't even pick up a cell phone, much less understand the difference between batting average and on base percentages. Only a week ago, Adam Dunn was chastised for taking walks... by the Blue Jays GM! A real GM!

By the way, remember I told you at Pawn that both the Red Sox and the Yankees may not make the playoffs? Sadly, I might be right!

Justin said...

Ha ha, as long as that GM isn't named Theo Epstein, I'm good.

Oh man... getting swept by the Rays... how the times have changed. Well, maybe we can squeak by with the Wild Card, ha!