Thursday, September 03, 2009

Back to Basics

I am for the most part a Firefox user when it comes to web browsing. My second choice is Google Chrome. However, there's always this rare (or outdated/poorly designed) site out there that requires me to dig out Internet Explorer once in a while.

I'm not entirely against IE. It's just that it is so damn slow. Both IE7 and especially IE8 run at snail speed. Is my computer too slow? Possibly. If that's the case, shouldn't the other browsers run slow as well?

I decided to downgrade all the way back to IE6. I remember first using the IE6 beta back in 2000. That's almost ten years ago. The downgrade process required me to delete the XP Service Pack 3, which took forever. I was left with a ten year old web browser that had none of the bells and whistles of Firefox or Chrome or Opera, but it ran smooth and fast. Though because of major security issues and Firefox superiority, I won't be using IE6 very much at all.

I appreciate new functions added to upgrade software, but I think developers should really make speed and usability more of a priority.

No comments: