Saturday, March 25, 2006

Asian people always think they're in a hurry

While landing on a recent airplane trip, the whole plane full of Chinese people stood up while the plane was still taxiing. They didn't wait for the seatbelt light to go off, and they didn't wait for the captain's signal. As soon as the wheels touched the ground, you could hear that seatbelt unbuckling noise clickity-clack. The stewardesses had zero reaction as if it was normal. On a U.S. carrier, they'd go ape-shit. I just sat there in my isle seat, and the woman sitting next to me literally climbed over me without saying a word to unload her luggage from the overhead compartment. Needless to say, all those people ended up standing in the isle for at least five minutes, waiting for the airplane doors to open. In the meantime, I was snickering as I waited in my seat because I just knew I'd get through customs and out of the airport faster than them anyways.

It was the same situation in the immigration hall. Even in the super fast Hong Kong Resident lines, people were still jockeying for positions in the shortest lines. It was funny, and dangerous. I think it is stupid. Of course, the same shit happened at the luggage conveyor belt. People were crowding at the opening that spits out the luggage. I was standing further down the line and allowed a foot or two between me and the belt. Lo and behold, some idiot slips right between me and the belt! So when my suitcase was coming around the corner, I had to give him a purposeful shoulder to get my "position" back. Was that whole scenario entirely necessary?

Something pretty funny happened through U.S. security as well. Some dude forgot to take off his shoes to be x-rayed, so he tried to put them in my tray, on top of my laptop at the very last minute. I gave him a half stern, half joking, "hold on there, buddy". He just stood there for a whole minute, shoes in hand, not knowing what to do. Err...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

all of the above! as many more travel by air every year, i don't understand why these ppl just can't make flying a better experience for everyone...

i'll soon find out if my hk frequent visitor card really works. =)

Anonymous said...

I think some people are just Freaking rude.
I think a lot of Ppl have carry-ons just like me, and a lot of times my carry on couldn't place in the Overhead cabin of me. (cos most of the time, it's Filled with some other passangers' Stuff)
I had to put my bags a couple cabins back. Now imagine me trying to Climb over all the people to get that bag when I get off.

I just wish they Don't Crowd the Aile that's all.

Anonymous said...

and saying " exscrise me " doesn't Kill you~

Anonymous said...

When I was flying back to US this pass month, I get to see a hot flight attendant yelled at a French guy because he insist that he needs to be on the phone while the door is close and the plane is approaching the run way to take off.

Justin said...

What I can say from my recent trip to the US, is that US travelers are much more courteous and considerate than most Asian travelers.

One of my flights was delayed, and a lot of people had tight connections. So the people without connections voluntarily stayed in their seats and let the people that were in a a rush get their luggage and get off first.

Being polite is one thing Chinese people need to learn from Americans.

knockoutgirl said...

When I see people driving crazy or just stupid people in a hurry, I say "Maybe his wife's having a baby," or "Maybe he earns a million dollars a minute." Or of course, if it's a woman driving a car, you can always say "Maybe she's having a baby." It make me feel better.

Justin said...

re: knockoutgirl

Hmm... if you could apply this method to your "life sucks" problem, that would be dandy.

I.E. when life sucks, think, "maybe my neighbor's life sucks more than mine", or "that bum's life definitely sucks more than mine". It isn't looking down on people; it's just giving yourself a picker-upper.