Monday, July 09, 2007

Excellent Combination

Two recent discoveries:

1) The Palm Treo 750's camera sucks. I'm not picky about camera phones (kind of an oxymoron as it is), but with a sticker price of HKD6000 (relax, I didn't pay nearly that much) I expect something a little better than 1.3 megapixels.

2) Avocado goes really well with ponzu sauce.

I first saw people eat avocado this way in the late Juzo Itami's The Funeral. They basically cut the avocado in half, add a little soy sauce to where the seed used to be, and spoon it out. Not sure if that's how all Japanese people eat avocado, but it looked great.

A couple weekends ago I decided to try it with ponzu instead. The result was delightful.

So next time you get a ripe avocado, instead of making guacamole or a salad, try this method instead.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm I will have to give it a try tonight, is ponzu a type of special soy sauce?

Oh BTW the HR monitor chest strap is sold sorry

Justin said...

Re: alex

Ponzu sauce is a combination of yuzu and soy sauce (and maybe other stuff). Yuzu is a unique Japanese grapefruit that has a very distinct taste and smell. Excellent with meats, anything that has protein in it, and great as a salad dressing when mixed with oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzu

No worries. It would have been nice to be able to monitor my HR on the treadmill/bike, but no big deal.

John said...

Sorry dude but that doesn't make avocado any more appealing than it is to begin with (which isn't very much, in my books).

Justin said...

Re: john

Com'on John! Its suddenly infused with the wonder goodness of Japanese yuzu grapefruit! Try it! The Japanese gods are weighing your chances of moving to Japan based on your willingness to accept strange and tasty foods!

John said...

Ah...

...no.

If I end up anywhere but Japan, I'm crashing at your place.