Thursday, July 12, 2007

I Win! (in a meaningless war)

We all hate telemarketing. In an attempt to prevent robots from taking over the world, Hong Kong passed legislation last year to outlaw automated telemarketing. This is a small victory for the people; however, human telemarketing is still allowed in full force. So if a person calls you instead of a robot, then its okay. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate for robots is staggering.

I still get a marketing call about once every couple days. When I pick up, I refuse to be impolite unless they call when I'm roaming (because telemarketers should be smart enough to hang up when they hear the roaming ringtone). So instead I just pretend that I can't speak Chinese, and they usually hang up immediately. Thankfully my English is good enough to pull it off, but even if my English was shoddy, what could they do? Claim that I'm lying? Heh.

Anyways, even if they did attempt to sell me crap in English, I could probably outmaneuver them easily by using difficult SAT words. Yes, it is mean to step on someone for their loose grasp of a language, but then again they didn't have to call me in the first place.

3 comments:

ahsir said...

heh, I just pretend I don't speak Cantonese and Started to speak CHINESE instead. And when they started to talk to me in Chinese, I just pretneded I don't understand a words... Cos USUALLY HK ppl's Chinese are just ...suck.

Or Taiwanese Might work too... HUmm

Justin said...

I like to use english because they hang up immediately, but with mandarin, they will still make feeble attempts at a sales pitch.

It is interesting how some HK people are so afraid to learn/use english.

Ha ha, Taiwanese would be great.

Anonymous said...

i'll teach you some (accented), heehee ;P