Saturday, September 24, 2005

Insanity is Relative

I caught what resembled the flu a few days ago. This rendered me unable to attend work, or get out of bed for that matter. Something good did come out of this absence though. While mindlessly flipping through channels on broadband TV, I came across this really good film: Igby Goes Down.

Igby Goes Down is a deeper, darker, and modern version of the great Catcher in the Rye. This is hardly a new concept for a storyline, but its the smart and funny dialogue, plus the extraordinary delivery/acting that makes this movie a gem from back in 2002. How could I have missed it back in the day? This is a DVD that I'm adding to my collection.

The stellar cast includes: Claire Danes, Jeff Goldblum, Jared Harris, Amanda Peet, Ryan Phillippe, Bill Pullman, and Susan Sarandon. The main character, Kieran Culkin, brother of Macaulay (Home Alone, Party Monster), and Rory (Signs) puts on an amazing performance.

The film is really well written and directed, both are credited to Burr Steers in his directorial debut. The dialogue is just too good that printing it here won't do it justice. So please, do yourself a favor and check out this cult classic. Flu symptoms not required.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo,

Haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you? Didn't realize that you're not feeling well, heard that the flu is going round so I guess it's the same in HK. Hope that you're feeling better by the time you read this. I think I'll def. check the movie out, been hearing alot about it then and now and I guess it's time to do what needs to be done. ^_^

Get well soon!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for continuing to post comments despite your dire internet situation... ke ke ke. I think you'll enjoy the movie. Sprint to your nearest Blockbuster and demand it now!