Thursday, November 08, 2007

Spineless or Clueless?

All I can say is that I'm truly disappointed in US tech firms, for not knowing when to take a stand. What do these people believe in? Is it really all about the dollar sign? If they somehow have some hidden agenda of taking over China's internet, then becoming ethical when their roots are established, that would be great. Perhaps that is just a distant dream... my hope of an alternate reality.

A bit at a loss. Will there ever be free speech in the Mainland? Will Hong Kong have free speech in the future? I have no answer for that. I don't even dare speculate. The answer is too frightening. When you have some of the biggest American corporations bending over backwards for the Chinese government, the future certainly looks grim.

Censorship, yes, at this moment it is somewhat expected in China. I'm uncomfortable with the tech firms promoting censorship, but it is a price they pay for breaking into the market. When it comes to protecting the identity of users and the preventing innocent (perhaps not so innocent in a totalitarian government) people from going to jail, I expected more from the Googles and the Yahoos and the Ciscos. I expected them to grow a spine and put their foot down. I expected Jerry Yang to apologize to the Chinese government (for being unable to reveal private user information), rather than apologize to the mother of Shi Tao (for basically putting her son in jail).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember that Metallica song SAD BUT TRUE!!!

Justin said...

Of course! Part of my first Metallica album.

Its sad, and its also scary.