Monday, April 21, 2008

iTunes = Slow

I don't know how else to put it. Apple iTunes is excruciatingly slow. My computer isn't anywhere near top of the line. I don't need the latest computer because I don't use heavy duty programs, and I don't play PC games. So why should I upgrade just for a music player. That's what I find to be most inexcusable: iTunes is a music player! Yes, it has other functions like iPod sync, iTunes store, and Quicktime. I would expect delays if all those programs were running all at once, but that is never the case.

Things slow down when I edit song names, organize the songs, or even just scroll up and down. When I say slow, I mean the program just freezes for a full 10 seconds. You can't do anything in iTunes, the CPU usage shoots up to 90-100%, and Windows Task Manager lists the program as "Not Responding".

I find it hard to believe that this type of program is taking up so much processing power. What the hell is it doing?! What could it possibly be doing?! All I want from iTunes is for it to sync to my iPod, and download podcasts when I ask it to. Perhaps it is trying to do too much. This is a flaw in the design. iTunes should be designed to work well on both faster and slower computers. It should give the user the option of making it run "heavy" or "light". If it weren't for my iPod(s), this program would have been tossed long time ago.

2 comments:

John said...

Hey, but you've got an Ipod like all the other people. So you're cool! That's a price that's worth paying for, right? ;)

Justin said...

Damn! And all along I thought I was cool because of my Asian fro.

Hmm... I don't know. I'd rather have something that's a little more efficient (though the iPod itself is pretty awesome).