Thursday, April 24, 2008

Patriotism(?)

Will patriotism go the on/off extreme route, as it did in the US? With China being heavily criticized for pretty much every move it makes (as any superpower should expect): Tibet, Olympics, Chinese netizens are showing their "patriotism".

Click here to see what I'm talking about.

This really reminds me of the "USA" chants at international sporting events, and the obnoxious American flag t-shirts, etc. To me, it's all a bit lame. No, patriotism is not lame, but people "showing off" patriotism is pretty weak. So you add "heart China" before your MSN name... so what? Most people are doing it just to be trendy, or they're doing it in response to attacks against China. But what else have they done to demonstrate patriotism? By the way, I don't consider protesting against a department store, to be patriotic in any way (it's just a waste of time).

A real patriot would do things to help his or her country; for example helping the disadvantaged or impoverished. Helping to fight injustice is a true demonstration of patriotism (though in China, that may land you in prison or even kill you). I just wonder how many of these silly chat room folk actually step away from their computer and make themselves useful (in the name of patriotism).

To express my disappointment towards China, I instead use

2 comments:

alex said...

Very well said man, I think the whole love china thing will go away as soon as the Olympic is over, or maybe sooner. (3 minute fever)

It reminds me of the whole Livestrong bracelet period. People brought them not that because they believed in the foundation. The worn them because they want to be part of the trend.

The ironic part is I used to see people wearing the yellow bracelet while smoking a cigarette.

Justin said...

I remember the Livestrong bands being sold on eBay, totally undermining the thought behind it.