Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meh Olympics Part I

The Olympic torch has arrived in Hong Kong, yay... not.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get excited about the Beijing Olympic games. Between the shameless event promotion being done by the local government, the protests, and China's negative track record overshadowing the event, I just can't get bring myself to muster up any interest.

Looking back, I've always had a grim perception of the Olympic games overall. The Olympics itself is really a show. Back when I was in the US, the TV stations would promote the games early on: seeking out the potential medalists and turning them into instant celebrities. There would be interviews, mini documentaries, non-stop repeating footage of past events, silly slogans, plus the sudden flood of endorsements. It gave the public a month long love affair with these select athletes. Once the Olympics ended, they once again faded into obscurity. For me, it felt like a cruel cycle of highs and lows for these athletes, and I could never get comfortable with it. You could see the athletes eating up this short lived stardom, knowing that it may be their one and only chance to make a buck off their athletic careers.

Yet, even back then I still found the games enjoyable. The commercial nature didn't manage to completely overshadow the actual games. Watching athletes succeed and have their dream come true was still a very inspiring event to watch. The most memorable Olympic moment for me (and likely many Hong Kong people), was when Hong Kong won its one and only gold medal (during colonial rule) in 1996 via windsurfer Lee Lai Shan. I still get choked up and teary-eyed just thinking about it (very much like the 2004 World Series).

The Beijing Olympics are just not the same. It's like there's a huge cloud hanging over the upcoming event. Instead of the promotion of athletes, we've got Darfur, Tibet, RWB, human rights atrocities, pollution, and corruption issues popping up left and right. Instead of Olympic athletes getting their 15 minutes of fame, China's controversial issues are getting noticed.

Don't get me wrong. Anyone who's been reading this blog knows that I'd much rather have these issues dominate the front pages of newspapers than the Olympics. It's just hard to feeling happy about it when you're constantly faced with the shameless celebration of China, contrasted with the dark, ambiguous injustices occurring in the background.

8 comments:

Josekin said...

Do you get teary eyed with the 2007 World Series Champion as well?

Do you feel conflicted about Athens hosting Olympics and Greece's atrocities against Turkish and Macedonian people?

Do you feel conflicted about Sydney's hosting Olympics and Australia's atrocity against the indigenous people and its blatant ignoring of Timor atrocities?

All govts have problems. Just some have a bigger target on their backs. And yes, I agree, the Beijing Olympics are going to be a circus.

Justin said...

The answers are:

No. Nothing can compare to 04.
No and no. Without disecting the examples you mentioned, the short version is that I hold my own nation to a higher standard. I criticize because I care. China could quell half of their critics if they were more open and treated incidents with a more mild manner.

ahsir said...

I know we have this Conversation before, but I just hope that people will treat this olympic a bit less on the Gov, but more on the game itself.
Fighting for Independance? All that before the Olympic? ai... IF that is to get Peoples attentions, Alright, I got that. BUT To interfare with the Route~ And Calling Chinese "Thugs".. that...

Justin said...

...

Yes, I'm waiting for you to finish your comment.

I don't enjoy seeing people actively trying to steal the torch, and its certainly no fun to see real violence on TV everyday. But there must be a reason for this. Maybe Tibetians feel so opressed that they are willing to do anything to get noticed. What is going on? Well... we will never no because China is still such a closed nation.

As of now, these Olympic events seem to have become the sacrifices for Tibet's voice to be heard. So I would like to ask, if they didn't take to these extreme measures, what would you suggest they do? Whether you agree with their actions or not, what do you recommend they do to draw attention. Think about it: before the recent incidents, how often have you heard about or given a thought about Tibet?

Independence? Some Tibetians may wish for that, but I'll bet that most of them would very much settle simply for fair treatment.

"Thugs". I didn't flinch when I heard that comment. Perhaps it's because I've met and heard of many Mainlanders who actually fit that description quite well.

I very well understand that every nation has flaws, but for China, plagued with problems, to be boasting about hosting the most expensive Olympics and firing rockets into space... my first reaction is to shake my head in disbelief.

dra said...

What about seeing some lamas walking in and out of 5 star hotels while the rest of tibetians suffer? Imagine what could happen if Tibet goes independent! And for obvious reasons, the rest of the world wants the independence of tibet.

I think the problem of tibet and the attention it draws upon the rest of the world is way beyond fighting for a fair treatment! And I just do not think it is fair to begin with if something other than sports competition is raised in association with the olympics.

Justin said...

How does some Lamas living in 5 star hotels have anything to do with predicting Tibet's condition if they become independent? If you're suggesting that the Lamas will live in luxury and rule with an iron fist if Tibet somehow becomes independent, I think that's a pretty far off prediction.

Personally, I am pretty indifferent on whether Tibet actually achieves indenendence. There are certainly pros and cons to both sides. However, friends who have been to Tibet report that life there for native Tibetans is very difficult compared to people of Chinese descent.

I still believe that most Tibetans will settle for fair treatment rather than insist on independence.

So then, if the conflict stems from something "way beyond fair treatment" what do you think is Tibet's motive? Please don't say religion, because that is never ever the case. If you say for "land", then I will probably agree.

Again, I ask: what do you suggest Tibetans do if they didn't use the Olympics as a channel to have their voice be heard? Tibet has been struggling for independence for a whole century. Yet, think about when's the last time someone has talked to you about Tibet before the Olympic protests? For me, it's a big fat zero.

Sometimes when people feel opression and hopelessness, they take to extreme measures in order to get what they believe is right. If this were not true, we wouldn't have suicide bombers or planes deliberately being flown into buildings.

ahsir said...

calling all Chinese "Thugs" are B.S. Remember, it is ALL Chinese, NOT a Small group, not Chinese in China, BUt ALL CHinese. INcluding, I suppose, you and me.

Let me ask you one thing, Are you a Big supporter of Nelson mandela?

Justin said...

All I know is that I didn't take "thugs" personally. It was so so so obviously a dumb comment, why even take it seriously? In fact, I chuckled when I heard about it because it was such a silly comment.

I am shocked at how people take to the streets on the dumbest things. Protesting at a French supermarket that employs 40,000 Chinese workers, holding a sign that says "CHINESE NEGATIVE NEWS" makes me shake my head.

The whole thing is a farce. Who do you think "promoted" the CNN comment and fueled the Carrefour incident to begin with? Take a guess. It was CCTV. They kept pushing this news to the public, making it sound as bad as it could. I guarantee you that a majority of the protestors, or "Fen Qing", don't even have access to CNN. Instead of reporting on widespread corruption, CCTV instead promotes a undoubtedly silly comment made by some relatively unknown CNN anchor.

The whole idea disappoints me. Instead of looking inward, Chinese like to complain outward. Instead of trying to heal the nation's problems, Chinese choose to bitch and moan about minor issues that have little to do with the country's future.

Did you actually think Americans believed that every Chinese person was a thug after that broadcast? Please. They probably laughed out loud at the stupidity of it, just like I did.

To answer your question:
I am indifferent towards Nelson Mandela.