Saturday, April 08, 2006

House vs. Grey's Anatomy


To be honest, I have only seen half an episode of Grey's Anatomy, but that was enough to convince me that its a chick flick disguised as a hospital drama. Here is part of TV dot com's summary:
Today they're doctors and, in a world where on the job training can be a matter of life and death, they're all juggling the ups and downs of their own personal lives...It's the drama and intensity of medical training mixed with the funny, sexy, painful lives of interns who are about to discover that neither medicine nor relationships can be defined in black and white.
The keywords here are "personal lives", and "relationships". Women love this sitcom/soap because it is all about relationships and it is all about women. It has three female lead characters. Then men are only there for relationship fodder. The show is obviously not about them. The storylines are drama heavy, and naturally it is unrealistic as expected. Also expect lots of extended dialogue that has very little to do with medicine and more to do with "people stuff".

After careful consideration, I must say that House is almost the complete opposite of Grey. Its a drama about a genius doctor who also happens to be an asshole. Dr. House acts like an ass and he is always right in the end. Through confidence and bravado, he solves medical mysteries on a daily basis. He is surrounded by people who hate his attitude, but simply cannot ignore his genius. Naturally, the show revolves around him.

Okay, so what's the point?

Women love Grey's Anatomy because it is basically a chick flick in a hospital. It has all the CF elements, which I won't go through now because that's another blog entry. Men hate Grey because they gag and immediately change the channel when the relationshipy-mushy stuff comes on. Guys tend to love House because the guy is a genius, and an asshole, yet he can do whatever he wants without repercussions. Plus, he is always right. Women will likely shun House because they can't stand a guy like Dr. House.

For the record, I'm beginning to like House and I just can't stand Grey's Anatomy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like House too! That guy is a Bad ass man! Jack Bauer with a M.D. !!
Or Black Jack but White. I enjoy the Show very much. I am Not going to say anything about Grey's Anatomy, Since I have not Watch it yet. But I'll check it out.

knockoutgirl said...

I like House, the character. I am just tired of the CSI-esque formula of mystery solving, where they keep coming up with wrong conclusions until in the end House does something "bad" that saves the day. Each episode is exactly the same! So I don't watch it.

Yeah Grey's Anatomy! Yeah Meredith, Christina, and Izzy! Yeah Burke, Bailey, and Derick! I don't care much for George and Alex though, they bore me.

Justin said...

Re: knockoutgirl

I think people watch House because of House. They want to watch him act like an ass and eventually get things right. The storyline has become second nature. I predict that this will get old, and the series won't last more than 3 seasons.

I'm not too sure about the longevity of Grey's Anatomy either. Shows in the recent past that featured females as strong leads (with the exception of cop shows) haven't done very well. There's just too much gagalesque drama for the mainstream public to handle.

Anonymous said...

I personally feel that there are a few too many hospital and (especially) crime shows

On TNT, it seems all they do is show Law and Order episodes...why? Also, how many acronyms do you need after "Law and Order" SVU, CSI, FTW, OMG...

I stick with Scrubs - good show, and it doesn't have the ridiculous cast changes I was finding in ER when I finally stopped watching it

pardon my rant - good post, I now have another blog to check up on periodically :)

Justin said...

Re: Dan

Welcome Dan!

I agree. Way too many Law & Order spin-offs. Not that they're bad shows I suppose. It just gets old. They need to think of something a tad more refreshing.

Anonymous said...

house is freakin awesome and ive memorized like every show and the storyline is different its not always the same and im a very girly girl .. ive seen alot of greys anatomy but its too dirty i cant stand it its more abt sex than medicine .. House is WAYYY better and dont stereotype against women vs. men .. smart guys are sexxii