Wednesday, May 17, 2006

311

牛丼(Gyudon) aka. Beef Bowl

Gyu-don is one of the easiest Japanese dishes to make. How else do you think they can sell them so cheap. There is a really simple recipe that Isao-san taught me a couple of years back. Just remember "311".

Ingredients:
  • 3 parts water (1 cup)
  • 1 part soy sauce (1/3 cup)
  • 1 part mirin (1/3 cup)
  • Shredded or thinly sliced beef (400g)
  • Shredded onions (2 medium onions)
  • Ginger (1 slice)
It couldn't be more simple. Just prep the ingredients and put them all in a pot over medium heat. Bring the pot to a slow boil, then simmer for about one hour or less. I like both the beef and onion to be sliced very thin, but that's just me. Serve the beef and onion over rice with as much sauce as you like. I eat it plain, but people often eat this dish with marinated ginger (available in stores), and/or a raw egg. You can also substitute the beef with chicken, pork, or even tofu I suppose. Makes two servings.

*(pics coming soon)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

want me to cook you some gyu-don? :P

Anonymous said...

Me too~

Anonymous said...

You can use Chicken booth/ or Beef booth and to replace the hlaf the water.

Justin said...

Re: anonymous

I thought about using a dashi broth or a meat stock, but I think the sauce is salty enough already. Thanks for the suggestion.