Saturday, May 27, 2006

Extinguish Smoke

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Just read this article in the paper. First, why don't I translate it:
Ever since I've been sick, my life has taken a 180 degree turn. In the past, cigarettes and my presence would be synonymous. Friends would say to me, "if you believe you can quit smoking, you'll definitely be able to do it". My answer to that was, "I firmly believe that I'll never be able to quit, and your point is?" How ironic that I am now constantly asking people to quit smoking.

Illness makes us realize the importance of life. Because of my desire to live, cigarettes have become my enemy. Out on the street, I am constantly trying to avoiding smoke. It is only now that I truly understand the definition of the word, "unavoidable". Even in the elevator of my apartment building, people smoke. I want to go out and grab a bite to eat, and cigarette smoke is everywhere. Their so-called non-smoking area, is surrounded by smoking sections. One time I got mad, so I wrote on a piece of paper: "Excuse me, but I have cancer. Please stop smoking for the time being, thanks!". Since then, every time I am at a restaurant and find someone next to me smoking, I will politely ask them to put it out.

Some people smile as they blow smoke in my face, thinking its a joke. Some will give a well mannered response, then proceed to put out their cigarette. Then there are some who will stare at me with disdain, and continue to smoke. A friend once pointed out that I'm selfish. He said, "cigarettes aren't the only thing in this world that cause cancer. Why not be a little patient? You used to be a smoker. Surely you can understand our (smokers) plight?". After hearing this, I was dumbstruck. I really wanted to tell him that actually I understand completely. I don't hate cigarettes, but my body suffers whenever I smell smoke. My immune system isn't strong like normal people, and smoke lowers my immuno-defense, increasing the chances of my cancer having a relapse. I'm only trying to stay alive. I'm sure everyone does things to protect their own life.

Oftentimes I feel its not that I'm prejudice against smokers, its that smokers are prejudice against me. I am now in the process of writing a book about me during my sickness. I hope smokers will read it, and that they will realize how difficult it is for a sick person to return to society.
The girl who wrote this is 23 years old. She is recovering from nasopharyngeal cancer. Visit her site here.

Smoking is a topic that has been beaten to death on my blog, but as long as it continues to exist, I will continue to fight against it. I'm not ignorant. I'll admit that I understand why people smoke: they're coerced into doing it by Philip Morris and friends. What I still don't understand, is why smart people continue to smoke. So who is smart enough to not smoke? People who know that its bad for them (that means pretty much everyone).

I feel sorry for the author of this article not because she had cancer, but that the hardships she has to face after achieving such a heroic victory. It is almost as if her reward for defeating cancer is a lifetime of confinement and solitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

indeed