Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Soft spot for Judas

What an exciting first Sox-Yanks game of the season. I couldn't help but sneak a peak at work via MLB.tv. I was shocked to see Mirabelli's name on the roster. At first I thought it was a horrible misprint, but no. Wakefield's personal catcher is back, and thank goodness. I don't think anyone else in the league can catch the crap Wake tosses out.

Besides Big Papi's nail in the coffin three run homer, the thing I was anticipating was the way Fenway would react to the return of Johnny Damon. In a sense, every player from 2004 deserves immunity. I guess the line is crossed when you say you'll never leave, then immediately join the enemy.

I didn't have great feelings for Damon after his departure, but I didn't hate him either. He was just doing what some ballplayers do: go for the dough. However, when he tipped his cap and saluted the fans only to get booed in return, I kind of felt sorry for him. He played so hard and did so much for the Sox. When you think back to 2004, you can't help but want to say thank you to the guy.

Anyhow, thanks for 2004 Johnny. I won't hate you until you get your first hit in Fenway.

1 comment:

Nat said...

I watched the game it was intense... I had mixed feelings bout him as well and i really believe that if he went to any other team they would have put out a parade for his first return to fenway. Mirabelli landed at logan airport at 6:45 and the game was at 7 it was nuts i think they like helicopterd his ass over to fenway. The game had a september feel to it rather than early may. Msg me on msn next time you are online got a couple questions for ya