Monday, May 08, 2006

Lunch Money

I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture. Nagoya teishoku minus curry katsudon.

Maybe I'm cheap, but I am surprised at how much Hong Kong people spend on lunch. I usually spend about HK$20 on lunch. That or I bring my lunch from home. Occasionally, I'll go to the mall and have something better. Still, the "better" meal usually won't cost over $50.

I notice that while I'm eating my <$50 meal, everyone else is eating stuff that's $50+ or close to the $100 range. That's shocking considering how frugal Hong Kong people are. I've seen people take complicated bus routes in order to save a few bucks on transportation, yet be willing to spend 8-10 times that amount on lunch. What gives?

Here's my theory: most office workers are so disatisfied with their job, that they feel the need to have a good lunch. Lunch is their outlet. Lunch is the time they can enjoy. Maybe they feel their life sucks, so they need a good lunch to compensate. Though complicated and difficult, I feel good about life and I don't think my job is a dead end... [takes a minute to think about that]. So I guess I don't need to compensate with a great lunch. Lunch for me is mainly to fill the empty stomach.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is exactly that my friend.
lunch is the time you can relex~ and most ppl don't mind spending a bit more to make it s more enjoyable experience.

Yes, I think the lunch price in HKare a bit Over the top. (when i was working in Wan Chai, Sometimes my co workers and I would go to this 飲茶Placehave 80~100 HKD once pre week. (and the place is always packed)

and I usually spent 30 dollar for lunch during that Time.. go figure.
also, HK ppl just love good food.

Justin said...

Re: arthur

Now that I think of it, even during 經濟低迷 the restaurants in HK were still doing okay.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ahdont, when comes to food I always like to treat myself good. Ahhh I miss my 鏞記燒鵝

Justin said...

I'll eat well on the weekends maybe, but during workdays I just eat crap to fill up. I don't know. I get gratification elsewhere I suppose.

Anonymous said...

actually a lot of restaurant Did Close during the depression. And a lot of them just when for a cheaper menu. Lower the grade of the Food. But yes, ppl still go~

But I believe that HK ppl do care about Food more then a lot of other countries/ cities.