Thursday, June 08, 2006

Abusing the environment


People in Hong Kong use way too much air conditioning. They set the A/C to full blast, then go to sleep wrapped in a thick comforter. UNBELIEVABLE! Talk about taking our precious natural resources for granted.

I think the government is right for once, encouraging people to keep the A/C temperature setting to 25.5 degrees. If its humid, invest in a dehumidifier. Also invest in thicker window shades: it contains heat during winter, and it keeps heat out during summer.

Here is my ultimate proposal...

Lets all invest in solar power! Everyone living in apartment buildings chip in to install solar power on the roof of your building. Naturally, a few panels won't power any of the juice-sucking homes of modern times, but perhaps this bit of solar energy can power the hallway lights, emergency exit signs, safety lights, etc. There's no arguing in who's paying for that stuff because its shared. If it is too expensive, maybe the government can help out a bit.

Let's save energy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I set my air con at 24c.
I think that is the most comfortable setting for me. I know 1 C is a lot of Difference in terms of energy. But 25.5.. why bother to Turn on the air con? Just use a Fan. It is effective and saves a lot of energy too.

The thing I can't get is the Air Con in Office buildings. They are all WAY below 20C and the workers usually need to wear outerewar during work~ Now,that is just too much.

Justin said...

Re: ahsir

When I ride in someone else's car, oftentimes they'll have the temperature set to 18C or something like that. But the themometer on the dash says that the outside temp is 30C.

People turn the air to full blast because its hot, and turn it off when its cold. No one ever considers to leave it at a certain setting and let it run on auto-pilot. That is what a thermostat is for.

I personally set the temp to 28C and put it on "econ" mode. I'd still be comfortable with 25C, but it would eventually get too cold and I'd have to turn up the temp.

I guess that just goes to show that everyone has their own comfort level. Since moving back to Hong Kong, I have adjusted. I am now more tolerant to hot weather, and less to cold. But if I'm cold I can always put on a sweater. Getting healthy has also helped me become more tolerant to harsher conditions.

John said...

What gets me is the fact shops also have their AC on full blast. Not a problem, except for the fact that their entire entrance is open, therefore letting the cool air out and hot air in. Granted, I understand that it may be a logistical problem to bypass the problem of having say a more enclosed entrance, but when most of the shops do it, it's a hell of a waste going out.

Anonymous said...

Personally I'm a big fan of cold. I will admit I abuse my AC quite a bit. But then I really don't use much heat in the winter, so I guess that even things out. By the way the reason why you and Ahdont get cold so easily is because of the lack of body fat, eat more la hahaha