Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hong Kong ranks 25th in courtesy poll

A Reader's Digest "courtesy test" shows that Hong Kong is ranked 25th in terms of courtesy. This news was all over the local papers, and many were shocked to discover that Hong Kong was so low in the rankings. Reactions from street interviews and the media felt that Hong Kong people were pretty polite, and the low ranking was not warranted.

I am not the least bit surprised with Hong Kong's low ranking. Hong Kong people are simply not that polite when compared to modern western civilizations. Those who think Hong Kong is polite enough probably have not experienced much foreign courtesy, or they just have low expectations.

Okay yes, on rare occasions I may experience acts of courtesy. However, most of the time I see of lot of cutting in line, fighting for space, and plenty of selfishness. Even courtesy comes with a price. When I do receive aid from a stranger, they sometimes give me this look like I owe them something, or that they are reluctant to help me out. I'm not sure which is better: helping with resentment, or not helping at all.

Courtesy must come from the heart. I hear way too many "lazy thank you"s from salespeople or restaurant employees. Sometimes an act of kindness isn't met with thanks. In Hong Kong, helping people might not reward you with gratitude. Instead you may receive a look of suspicion. Our culture has trained people to be suspicious of things that come without a price, and I suppose a helping hand is one of those things.

I'm pretty used to the rudeness that embodies Hong Kong, and it is sad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, yes, Hong Kong are not as Courtenous as Westerners. But hey, where is Japan, not even on the list?

But Look~ I think Taipei people are Nicer but they are at 43%~ Can You believe that?
I think this is base on forgieners bah. The language problem is really an issue here though.

Justin said...

Re: arthur

Com'on man, poll aside, don't tell me you think Japanese are less polite than Hong Kong people.

I don't know why Japan is not on the list, but I doubt that the reason is that they ranked too low. I would certainly think Japan would rank very high on the list based on their rating criteria. They pass in the "thank you" category, the "helping" category, and the "opening door" catergoy with flying colors IMO.

From my point of view, I don't think Taiwanese are nicer. They're about the same as Hong Kong people. In fact, I feel that Taiwanese have a shorter fuse in terms of temper.

The test is done by foreigners. Don't you think that should be the standard? If westerners are the most polite, then the test should be performed by them. If you left that job to a Hong Konger, he/she'd be too overwhelmed to make a sound decision.

Anonymous said...

i can't agree w/ u more on "courtesy must come from the heart" because i rarely experienced this kinda courtesy in hk/taipei. it's like every time i visit a store/restaurant, i know the sales/waiter erases her smile as soon as i step out of the place. this feeling is obviously different from that when i leave a shop in japan.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I am sorry, What kind of Taiwanese PPPl you met over here man?

Nat said...

Did'nt you find it amusing that NYC was the highest on that list!! who were these ppl taking this poll!!
This same poll made an appearance on tv here in a news segment the torontonians were proud to be #3 but i think its a completly BS poll overall...

Justin said...

Re: nat

Did you read the article?