Friday, June 02, 2006

Game, Set, Match.


Saw Woody Allen's latest work, Match Point. I've always liked Allen's stuff, but never really loved it. I wasn't sure what to expect from Point. Hearing the title for the first time, I thought it was about tennis (and it is... a little).

I was shocked at how good this film is. The reason I found it good was that it controlled my emotions. The film really draws you in and connects you with the characters. With every turn of the storyline, you would feel different. Woody Allen had absolute control because he could make me like and dislike his characters at will. Point doesn't try to be super suspenseful like some other flicks, but it definitely keeps you on your toes.

*****S P O I L E R*****A L E R T*****

I hated the main character from the start. He seemed so reckless, yet you feel sorry for him being a poor boy surrounded by rich people. Then when Scarlett Johansson starts acting "crazy", you start to hate her for being that way. But of course you end up feeling sorry for her because of her situation of being pregnant with a married man's child. What a rollercoaster of an ending! I truly wasn't sure how it would all end. One minute you think the guy's caught, then the next minute you think he got away with it, then later he's so wound up that you think he's going to admit to the murder or kill himself. One important fact that makes the film work is that it emphasizes the importance of being lucky, and that part just keeps you thinking. It creates a premise that the plot can twist and turn because they can throw in the luck factor. The plot makes 180 degree turns multiple times towards the end, and some of those turns can be attributed entirely to the luck. It's slightly cheating in a way, but since the story already established it in the beginning, I didn't feel that the twists were forced.

*****END OF SPOILERS*****

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I really like that movie. It is so un~woody~ I dunno the reason I don't like it. HAHA That is weird.. fast time for me

Henry Chung said...

Thanks for liking "Match Point." Woody was back in top form! If you like "Match," check out "Crimes & Misdemeanors" starring Martin Landau, Alan Alda, and Anjelica Huston, also directed by Woody. In that movie, he emphasizes on the importance of luck too (also in "Celebrity"). I've begun to feel that luck plays a big part in life.

Anonymous said...

Hm.. this is the 3rd WA films(I am going to call them films, not movie..) I have watched, I have always refused to watch his films

However, this film is alright. Despites the inarticulate dialogue, home-video like camera angle... I guess I am just too shallow for his shiten....